Our Lady of Hope Parish Church
The Nuestra Seṅora dela Esperanza Parish was canonically erected in 1825 withRev. Fr. Santiago de Leon as the first Parish Priest. The Church is the shrine of Our Ladyof Hope on whom sailors and fishermen from this seaside town of Vigan look as their
STARS OF THE SEA. A massive church and a convent, both made of bricksand stones were constructed. Don Paulino Llanes, who was the cabeza de barangay,supplied lumber for the roofing of both the church and the convent. The women folk helped in the construction by carrying sand and stone from the seashore. The Marian Image is originally of ivory face and hands holding the infant Jesus, isone of the best known in Ilocandia invoked as the
Nuestra Señora dela Esperanza because of the anchor dangling beneath her feet. She is the Patroness of the Mariners. A four level belltower is found on the left side of the church.
The Church’s building is a mixture of pseudo
-gothic and high-renaissanceinfluence while the pointed windows and arches remind one of the gothic styles.