Archbishop's Palace of Nueva Segovia
Founded in Lal-lo, Cagayan, 14 August 1595, with Fr. Miguel de Benavides as first bishop, by the bull of Pope Clement VIII, through the efforts of Bishop Domingo de Salazar in Madrid. Transferred to Vigan, 1758, occupying a building which escaped capture by the rebels when Diego Silang, who defeated the Bishop’s forces, was assassinated by Vicos, 1763. Present building constructed, 1783-1790. Repaired, 1824-1826. Also housed the ecclesiastical court until 1890. Occupied by the revolutionists who imprisoned Bishop Jose Hevia Campomanes, 1896. Used as garrison by the American forces under Lt. Col. James Parker, 1899.